Today in school, kids always want to find the easy way out. Doing
the bare minimum to get something done is sometimes all students work for. As
long as they turn something in they are happy. How has the value of our work
turned into something we don’t want to be proud of? I know looking back to my
college art class, I knew I wasn’t majoring in art and I wasn’t the greatest
artist out there, so as long as I finished the project I was happy. I was never
proud of my work or could care less if anyone could follow what I was trying to
portray until it was on a topic that was important to me.
In the article
"The Art of Digital Storytelling," the teacher explains how when
telling a story, the audience can follow it, but can’t always feel exactly what
the author is. Giving a summary on what they are telling instead of going into
detail is a flaw that this generation is facing. Again, finding the easy way
out. But, when we are telling a story we need to express how we are feeling in
detail so others can stay engaged and want to continue listening with full
attention.
In the
article is showed how no one in the class wanted to present their written story
first. It could be because the students were nervous to present, but it also
could be that the students know they didn’t do well and it isn’t a story other
people are going to want to listen to. When the teacher gave her two examples
of her college experience, it showed how much detail can make a story completely
different. A student commented on how the first story was a summary and wasn’t
giving real feeling. It was just like reading the basic points straight off the
paper. When the teacher read her second story that had exact quotes and
feelings, then the student actually felt bad for her and respected her story
more. It shows how if you care about what you are talking about and give your
actual feelings, then others will be able to understand what you went through,
maybe relate to a similar situation, and want to ask questions and be involved.
So, with that
being said, let me get back to my art class from college. I finally had a
project I worked very hard on. I skipped the football game and homecoming activities
that weekend to stay in and work on my mosaic painting of my dog. This project
was very important to me because my dog had passed away earlier that year. I
wanted it to show my dogs happy face and make sure it was an easy image to
identify because it was a mosaic painting. When I finally finished and had to
present it, my teacher could tell the difference in my attitude towards my
work. I was able to tell a story through my art in a way I never thought I
could and this is something I will never forget. It is possible to relate to
others just by the amount of detail and emotion you put into something and I
feel that teaching this to students at an early age is very important. I hope
story telling is something that never goes away, whether it be through a book,
art, or verbally, stories tell events that happened in the past and it is an amazing
way to remember history and to help others communicate with one another on a different level.
Emotion plays a big role in memory, so if we can emotionally involve students in learning what they should learn, they are more likely to actually learn it and to remember it for much longer too.
ReplyDelete